How Pimples Form
Pimples are small skin lesions called sebaceous or sebum glands (oil glands) that become inflamed when they are infected with bacteria. When the pores in the face become damaged, bacteria can work its way under the skin. That causes a small, red infection that we call pimples. So, pimples are caused by the combination of bacteria and oily skin.
- Puberty plays a role in how pimples form due to the hormonal changes people go through. Hormones increase the level of sebum which gets blocked and forms pimples.
- Pollution blocks skin pores with dirt and that can cause the skin to form pimples due to the sebum becoming blocked and infected.
- Cosmetics can also clog the skin and cause the formation of pimples. The chemicals in cosmetics can cause infection in the sebum glands.
- Heredity plays a part in people having pimples. If parents had pimples, chances are the children will have them as well.
- While eating chocolate does not cause pimples, a poor diet will. People who eat a lot of junk food will develop digestive problems that can lead to pimples.
The answer to how do pimples form is not just a single answer. There are several reasons why pimples can form on the face. But when an outbreak occurs, the reasons aren’t as important as how soon will the pimple be gone?
How Long do Pimples Live?
The average outbreak of pimples on the face will last from two to four days. You may be thinking that pimples last so much longer. But it is the development of the pimple that will start to show on the face before the actual pimple forms. Think about this, have you ever tried to squeeze a newly formed pimple? While that should never be done, a newly pimple in development will not go away from squeezing.
Some people say that it can take from four to six weeks for a pimple to develop, which is why there is confusion on how long do pimples live.
How Long Does it Take for a Pimple to Go Away?
Another good question that has the answer of: it depends. If left untreated the pimple will probably go away in a few days, but the person who continues to eat a poor diet and not take care to wash the face twice a day will not eliminate the reason for the pimple. The pimple will clear up faster when the face is kept clean and medicated with an anti-bacterial product made for pimples.
What to Do?
There is no one answer about acne, as it is can vary with each individual. Try keeping a journal on when outbreaks occur and how long they last. A pattern could develop that will pinpoint specifics about when and why breakouts occur, and that will help you manage acne breakouts better.